Monday 11 April 2016

Favourite Indy film


An impossible questions for me to answer is; “what’s your favourite Indiana Jones movie?”

I can’t do it! It’s too difficult for me to narrow down a single reason as to why one of the films is my favourite.

Obviously The Crystal Alien Skull thing is the weakest. Temple of Doom is my least favourite of the originals, as I can’t stand listening to Willie Scott scream. Although the most iconic image of Indy is found in Temple of Doom on the rope bridge, the story doesn't intrigue me. Randomly falling out of a plane on a native village, in order to rescue their religious rocks is not overly interesting to me. I do commend the filmmakers for making something vastly different than Raiders, however it falls a bit short for me. Still a good movie, just not my favourite. 

So awesome
Raiders and The Last Crusade however, are two of the most re-watchable and fun movies ever made. The idea for this blog came last week after I watched The Last Crusade on blu ray. For the first time in my life, I think I have found the answer.

The Last Crusade is my favourite. There. I finally made a choice that I will stick with...until I watch Raiders again.

So why the preference for The Last Crusade? Let's start with the obvious. Sean Connery adds a dimension to the series that was lacking in Raiders. Instantly, the character of Indiana Jones is fresh again as his father is introduced. Their chemistry is fantastic and it's one of the most entertaining relationships I've seen on film. 
James Bond is Indy's dad
I love the locations. Ahhh Venice. Great new location for the film to start in, and they only get better from there.

Some of the best scenes of The Last Crusade include Sallah and Marcus Brody. They were such great characters in Raiders that having them play larger roles in The Last Crusade is fantastic. Seeing Marcus act like a fish out of water when Indy tells the Nazis "he has a two day head start," is one of my favourite scenes

The holy grail is literally the holy grail of MacGuffins. Such an interesting artifact that instantly grabs my attention; even more that the Ark of the Covenant. 

The three trials that conclude the film are to me; the most riveting aspect of the saga. Seeing Indiana push his faith by taking that leap, is a level of emotion that Raiders never had. 

When it's all said and done, riding off into the sunset is a finale that you smile at. The ending of Raiders is fantastic; but you don't have that sense of excitement watching a room full of crates. Seeing our four heroes ride off into a beautiful sunset is one of the best endings a film series can have.


Don't get me wrong. Raiders of the Lost Ark is AMAZING! I want to watch it at least twice a year. The Last Crusade however, hits me emotionally where Raiders never did. 

No comments:

Post a Comment