Monday 23 April 2018

When will 'Avengers Fatigue" set in?


James Cameron found himself in the news lately as he expressed his opinion on the Marvel craze happening in Hollywood. 


Cameron spoke of the Marvel films in an interview with Indiewire, saying, 
“I’m hoping we’ll start getting Avenger fatigue here pretty soon. Not that I don’t love the movies. It’s just, ‘come on guys, there are other stories to tell besides hyper-gonadal males without families doing death-defying things for two hours and wrecking cities in the process.’ It’s like, oy!”
He brings up an interesting point and one that I have been pondering for a while now. It's at the point now where you literally know that every couple months the Marvel logo will be displayed on the big screen and another instalment of their insanely ambitious universe is about to begin. 
The cynical answer would be to agree with Cameron. The man is the master of science fiction and he does know what he is talking about. 
What troubles me is that I LOOVVVEE Spiderman: Homecoming. It's a great movie and not just a great superhero movie. I really can not wait for more of those movies.
Guardians of the Galaxy I look at as more of a James Gunn film franchise than a Marvel instalment. I found those movies fun and exciting and very separate from the rest of the universe. Almost like a new Star Wars without being called Star Wars.
Iron Man 3 was another favourite of mine and like with Guardians, I view that film more as a Shane Black movie than a Marvel film.
Sometimes we do get the gems coming from the Marvel universe. However for every Spiderman: Homecoming there's 3 Ant-Man's. Not that Ant-Man was an awful film, but did it really stick with you and say something? I find that my go-to Marvel movie when I talk about generic films.
At this point I'm just ranting and am not sure what I'm thinking. Look at the photo attached to his blog - "The First Ten Years". Are there really a decade MMORREE of these movies. When does it end? Soon we are getting a Wasp movie... James Cameron just got me thinking. Damn-I hate thinking sometimes.....

No comments:

Post a Comment