Wednesday 11 May 2016

Captain America: Civil War **SPOILERS**


I hate when people talk during the movies. It gets under my skin and I think it is extremely rude. For that reason, I am dead silent when my butt is in a theatre seat.

There was a scene in Civil War where Spider-Man was holding Captain America back from retrieving his shield. Spider-Man had both of Cap's arms pinned back by the strength of his webbing. When that was happening, out of no where, I blurted out loud;

"I can't believe what I'm watching right now"

I really meant it. There was a moment where I turned into a 7-year-old. I literally could not believe what I was watching on screen. Ten years ago, the thought of this spectacle would have seemed impossible. Now, in 2016, we have our Marvel Civil War. 

To get one thing out of the way, Civil war isn't an "Avengers" movie. As the title states, this is a Captain America story and a continuation from the Winter Soldier. Despite the fact that this film has tons of characters, the Russo brothers were able to distinguish it as a Captain America piece. The movie is driven through him, and his decisions are what ultimately change the dynamic of the Avengers. 

Let's get Spider-Man out of the way. He's in two scenes (if we aren't counting the end credits scene which I missed out on). In both scenes, he was fantastic and stole the show. I won't proclaim that he is the greatest Spider-Man we've ever seen yet. The sample size isn't big enough for me to do that. So far though, I love Holland's portrayal and I am sure Spider-Man: Homecoming will be great. 

I won't lie, I had no idea who Black Panther was before I saw the movie. Let's be honest - you didn't know much about him either.  To my surprise, Chadwick Boseman as Black Panther was one of my favourite aspects of the film. It was an interesting fold to the story. His father was assassinated, and he was on a mission to take out The Winter Soldier. He was very T-1000 like from Terminator 2. The civil war happening around him was meaningless to him as he was focused on bringing down Bucky. I loved Black Panther, and he was handled incredibly well. Never felt shoe horned in and I can't wait for his solo film.


I have to mention the airport scene. For over 17 minutes, I was never bored. Remarkably, the Russo brothers were able to craft something so perfect for Marvel, that I can't imagine a fight scene being more impressive. There were so many "holy shit" moments that it never got over indulgent. Did anyone expect Ant-Man to steal the show? I certainly didn't. His lines were my favourite and him growing into Giant Man was hilarious.

I will admit though, I never felt the "war" aspect  during the airport scene. Most of the characters were making jokes during the fight - which is fine. Marvel has built a universe in adding humour to their movies. But as amazing as the fight was, I never felt nervous because I knew they weren't actually trying to kill each other. I thought they should have killed War Machine off when he fell from the sky. I think it would have added some weight to the situation, and a reminded to the Avengers as to why they must get along. I guess all he needs now his robot legs.

What did feel like "war" to me, was the final confrontation between Tony, Bucky and Cap. Was it a ridiculous idea for Zeemo to have them fly out to the middle of no where to find other winter soldiers only for Tony to watch a VHS tape and hope that he will get angry? Of course. But that is besides the point. Just like I speculated in my trailer review, this was the best acting that Downey Jr. and Chris Evans have done in their Marvel roles. When Tony finds out that Bucky killed his parents, he was ready to kill. To me, Marvel has never had a more emotional sequence that the finale of Civil War. Seeing Tony react while watching the death of his parents was heartbreaking. You wanted him to seek his revenge, yet you didn't. Your emotions were torn as you understood both sides. It was riveting to watch and is the highlight of the film for me. To hear Tony say to Cap that he doesn't deserve his shield as his father made it was the best line of the movie. So much emotion, after almost a decade of movies, all summed in one line.


I enjoyed Age of Ultron. But the third Captain America movie felt more of a culmination of phase two,  (if not the entire MCU) than Age of Ultron did. It was hilarious at times, while heartbreaking in others. The Russo brothers are the perfect directors to move the MCU forward. No, I am not a Marvel fanboy for enjoying this movie and hating Batman V Superman. I am a fan of good movies, regardless of the studio. I just know when something is good, and when something is not.

Thanks for reading everyone!

What does a weekend marathoning the MCU movies bring out in someone? Click here to find out! 






No comments:

Post a Comment