Tuesday 3 May 2016

Spirited Away.


There's a beautiful sequence in Spirited Away when Chihiro and No Face are riding a train. There's no exchange of words, and no fantastical imagery shown. It's quiet, peaceful, and a reflection on the true masterwork that is Spirited Away. Despite all the imagination put to screen, and the variety of characters shown throughout the film, it's this quiet moment that shows the confidence in the storytelling that Miyazaki and the team at Studio Ghibli crafted.


It's easy to think of Spirited Away as the "the Japanese Alice in Wonderland." A young girl goes on an unwanted adventure where a variety of colourful creatures and imagery are flashed on screen. It's an interesting comparison, and I won't argue with someone who sees the two as similar. I just happen to enjoy Spirited Away a little more.

There is something about Spirited Away that draws me in, and oddly enough, I can't really put my finger on the reason why. Of course, the hand drawn style is beautiful; just looking at the film is a treat upon itself. However the characters are not incredibly interesting to me, and I never feel a sense of danger for our main protagonist. Despite that, Spirited Away draws me in and I am locked in for the two-hour run time.

Why is that? What is it about the film that makes me like it so much?

I think it's the little moments that are little stories upon itself. Seeing the water pour over the Stink Spirit is both beautiful and disgusting. Looking into it, you see Miyazaki's attempt to bring up the negative impact of pollution to our natural world.

Chihiro helping Haku remember his name as they are falling from the sky is one of the most heartfelt moments of the film. Was I ever really invested in Haku as a character? Well...no...not really. But when this moment comes in the film, I couldn't help but get emotional. Perhaps I was invested, and I never really knew it.



You just have to sit back, and allow Miyazaki's imagination in. Spirited Away does a lot right, but most of all, it makes you FEEL something. Beautifully paced, quirky as can be, and strange beyond belief, Spirited Away is a sad reminder of how Hollywood lacks originality.  This movie may not be for all, but if you give it a chance, you might find something in it that you weren't expecting. 



No comments:

Post a Comment