Friday 12 February 2016

Hold on...they made a Deadpool movie?




No Spoilers.


Ok...obviously I knew they were making a Deadpool movie, I saw it last night at a screening. What I didn't know until last night was... they made a Deadpool movie.

Perhaps that's the biggest compliment I can give the executives at Fox; they stuck to their guns and made a Rated R, hilariously over-the-top superhero movie that is completely self-aware. As a fan of the comics, I can say that they did the source material proud.

For those who don't know, this isn't the first attempt by Fox to have Ryan Reynolds play Deadpool. It hurts me too much to discuss their past efforts and for the purpose of my sanity, I won't mention X-Men Origins: Wolverine anymore. I will however, leave you with a picture so we never forget our past.

Still can't believe they gave the merc with a mouth...NO MOUTH
Ryan Reynolds was BORN to play Deadpool. You can tell that he had a blast with this role as it showed on screen. He wasn't afraid to make fun of the super hero genre as he often broke the fourth wall to give us his thoughts. 

To my surprise, the movie had a lot more depth and dramatic moments than expected. Reynolds and Morena Baccarin had amazing chemistry and their love story was surprisingly (dare I say) touching. 
When you're not laughing hysterically, you are generally interested in these characters. T.J. Miller was another standout as his dry sense of humour works perfectly against the flamboyant Reynolds.

If I had one criticism (and I think I have only one), it's that the movie relies so heavily on pop culture references that it might not stand the test of time. The reason Pixar movies are timeless is because they don't rely on pop culture jokes, making their films always relevant. 

That of course, is just a nitpick. Deadpool is a gem of movie in February and a great time at the movies. It works just as well as a comedy as it does a superhero movie and I sincerely don't know if they could have made it any better. 

I'd love to know what everyone thought of Deadpool! Leave a comment below.


8 comments:

  1. I had my reservations about seeing this movie but now I just might. Thanks for your insight, Giacomo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I haven't actually seen Deadpool yet, but after reading your passionate review, I'm anxious to get to the theatre. Do you have a favourite Ryan Reynolds flick? For me, it's a tossup between Just Friends and Waited.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really think it's Deadpool. Maybe Waited though

      Delete
    2. Deadpool might top the RR list for me now, too. Though his part in Adventureland was great, he was such an asshole. Was also strangely compelling in Buried.

      Delete
  3. I want to see this movie! Great post Giacomo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really interesting review! Fantastic movie, "God's Perfect Idiot" did a tremendous job.
    I look forward to more posts!

    ReplyDelete