Wednesday 10 February 2016

The Prestige

Christopher Nolan has dug himself into a hole. The level of expectation that I have for him is up there with Tarantino, Fincher and the Coen Brothers. When I sit to watch one of his films, I expect to see something that is completely unique and awe inspiring. 

The reason for that expectation of course, is his incredible filmography. The man has written/directed some of the most unique movies of the last two decades including the greatest comic book movie I've ever seen. So when I sprawled on my bed to watch The Prestige for the first time, I of course had high expectations.

I had not watched a trailer, nor read a synopsis. All I knew was that Black Widow, Wolverine and Batman were in a movie together and I couldn't resist seeing a Marvel/DC Avenger-like crossover. 

Anyway, The Prestige is set in the beginning of the 20th century, where a feud between two rival magicians will test just how far they will go to one-up each other. 

And that's all I'm going to say about it.

This is one of those movies where less is more. You don't need a trailer, or a guy like me blabbering spoilers to ruin the experience for you. 

The Prestige is one of the best scripts that Christopher, and his brother Jonathan Nolan have ever crafted. Just when you think you're caught up with the story-it throws you a curve ball. You never are on top of this narrative. Nolan has you right where he wants you; always guessing and never sure of anything. 

If you like a thriller/mystery/drama, you'll like this movie. If you like magic, you'll love this movie. If you like Hugh Jackman's abs, well...you might be disappointed. They're in the movie, just not as much as you may want. 

Most of all, if you like an original piece of work that keeps you thinking after the credits roll, then The Prestige is for you. 



8 comments:

  1. The Prestige - is one of the best movies that I watched in my entire life. Incredibly interesting and thoughtful story makes you not to deviate from the screen for a minute. It's a great film, leaving behind a lot of positive feedback and delights. There are just few such genius works as The Prestige". The whole movie I was in suspense, enjoying every minute of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Glad to hear you had the same feeling as me. Thank you my friend

      Delete
  2. Giacomo, this is one of my favourite movies! I'm not a fan of Christopher Nolan, but Hugh Jackman is incredible actor for me. It seems you have to like The Illusionist with Edward Norton too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the Illusionist but for me it doesn't come close to the Prestige

      Delete
  3. Inception - great movie. Dark Knight - great movie. But The Prestige. There's an amazing movie, and probably Nolan's best. Want Wolverine vs. Batman? It's here. Want ScarJo? She's here. Want Michael Caine? Here. Want friggin Nikola Tesla played by David Bowie with Andy Serkis as his assistant? You have specific tastes.. but The Prestige totally has it!! *drool*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The movie could have had just the side characters and it still would have been entertaining

      Delete
    2. The movie could have had just the side characters and it still would have been entertaining

      Delete
    3. Is the double post some kind of meta-joke about the magic trick in the movie?

      Delete